HYTHE, a district chapelry, in the parish of Fawley, union of New-Forest, hundred of Bishop's-Waltham, Southampton and S. divisions of the county of Southampton, 3 miles (S.) from the town of Southampton. This place is agreeably situated on the bank of the Southampton Water, opposite to the town, with which a communication is kept up by passage-boats. An act was passed in 1844, for making a landing-place here. There are numerous respectable houses, and an extensive yard for ship-building. The living is a perpetual curacy, in the patronage of the incumbent of Fawley; net income, £92. The chapel, dedicated to St. John, was built in 1823.