HYLTON, a township, in the parish of Monk-Wearmouth, union of Sunderland, E. division of Chester ward, N. division of the county of Durham, 3 miles (W. N. W.) from Sunderland; containing 550 inhabitants. This township, which is in the vale of the Wear, and on the road from Sunderland to Newcastle, comprises Hylton Castle, a baronial mansion, which has been much modernised, the centre only possessing any claim to antiquity. The grounds to the north and north-east are laid out in slopes and terraces. It was the residence of the Hyltons from the time of King Athelstan to the year 1746, and the building has the arms of that ancient family and its alliances engraven on it in numerous places; its battlements are ornamented with statues, and its corners with circular turrets. The domestic chapel is first mentioned in a record of the date 1157, when the prior of Durham granted that the knight of Heltun might have his own chaplain; it was dedicated to St. Katherine, but before 1322 there was a chantry founded within it in honour of the Virgin. The chapel was resigned into the hands of the prior before the Dissolution, but was afterwards restored by the family as a domestic place of worship, and was again used during the residence of Simon Temple, Esq.