Huyton (St. Michael)
HUYTON (St. Michael), a parish, in the union of Prescot, hundred of West Derby, S. division of Lancashire; containing, with the townships of Knowsley, Roby, and Tarbock, 3749 inhabitants, of whom 1263 are in the township of Huyton, 7 miles (E.) from Liverpool. In the time of Edward the Confessor, the district was in the possession of two thanes. The Lathoms were early proprietors, being mentioned in the reign of Henry III. Isabella, the heiress of Sir Thomas Lathom, brought a large portion of the property to Sir John Stanley, and the heiress of another branch of the family conveyed by marriage their estate here to the Harringtons: the heiress of the Harringtons married into the family of Molineau, of New Hall. The parish comprises by measurement 10,063 acres, whereof 1755 are in Huyton township. The land is principally arable; about 2025 acres are woodland and park-grounds: the surface is elevated and undulating, the soil various, the air salubrious, and the scenery beautiful. The stream anciently designated the Terbeck skirts the southern verge of the parish; rising near Childwall, and passing by Little Woolton and Tarbock, it descends into the Mersey at Hale-Bank, in Halewood. A branch, also, of the Alt, a small affluent of the Irish Sea, flows from the vicinity of Huyton to the north-west, by Croxteth Park. Coal, but of inferior quality, is raised; and to the east of the village of Huyton, is an excellent slatequarry. A brewery, belonging to Mr. Barker, was established in 1825. The Liverpool and Manchester railway has stations at Huyton-Lane, Huyton-Quarry, and Roby-Lane. In 1846 acts were passed for the construction of a railway from Huyton to Runcorn and Aston, Cheshire, a line of 12 miles; another to Warrington, also 12 miles; one to Prescot and St. Helen's, 5½ miles; and one to Edge-Hill, 4½ miles.
The living is a discharged vicarage, valued in the king's books at £6. 9.; net income, £300, with a house; patron, the Earl of Derby. The original church was of considerable antiquity, having been granted to the priory of Burscough, at the time of its foundation, by the first Robert de Lathom. The oldest portion of the present noble church is supposed to be a relic preserved at the rebuilding in 1647. The structure is partly in the early English style, and consists of a tower, nave, aisles, and chancel; the body is divided from the aisles by low strong circular columns with fluted mouldings bearing semicircular arches: the east window and several others are adorned with stained glass. The edifice was repaired in 1663; the present tower was built in the last century, the interior enlarged in 1823, and the chancel lengthened and improved in 1847. At Knowsley is a separate incumbency. A place of worship for Independents was built in 1836. There is a school with an endowment of £10 per annum, and other schools are supported by subscription.