HUXLEY, a township, in the parish of Waverton, union of Great Boughton, Lower division of the hundred of Broxton, S. division of the county of Chester, 3¾ miles (W. by S.) from Tarporley; containing 279 inhabitants. The township comprises about 1300 acres, of a clayey soil. The Chester canal passes on the south side. Huxley Hall is a curious specimen of early architecture; the original ceilings in some of the apartments are still preserved, exhibiting richly embossed groinings, and the ancient stone mullions yet remain in the spacious windows. It is now a farmhouse. A rent-charge of £135 has been awarded in lieu of tithes.