HUTTON, SAND, a chapelry, in the parish and union of Thirsk, wapentake of Birdforth, N. riding of York, 3 miles (W.) from Thirsk; containing 309 inhabitants. This district, which takes the prefix to its name from the sandy nature of the soil, comprises 1315 acres, whereof 879 are arable, 374 meadow and pasture, 26 in plantations, and the remainder sites of buildings, water, and waste. The village is neatly built, and situated on the road from Northallerton to Boroughbridge, in a flat but richly-cultivated district in the vale of Mowbray, about a mile from the river Swale, which skirts the parish, and about two miles from the York and Newcastle railway. The chapel, dedicated to St. Mary, is a plain structure: the living is a perpetual curacy; net income, £108; patron and appropriator, the Archbishop of York. There is a place of worship for Wesleyans. About a mile and a half from the village is a pillar, placed on a massive pedestal, and called Sand-Hutton Cross; it is supposed to be an ancient boundary stone.