HUTTON-ROOF, a chapelry, in the parish of Kirkby-Lonsdale, union of Kendal, Lonsdale ward, county of Westmorland, 3¼ miles (W. by S.) from Kirkby-Lonsdale; containing 319 inhabitants. It comprises 2120 acres, of which 600 are in Hutton-Roof Cragg; and contains blue and white freestone, and several quarries of limestone. The living is a perpetual curacy; net income, £80; patron, the Vicar of Kirkby-Lonsdale. The chapel, a small edifice, was built in 1757. A schoolroom was erected by subscription in 1773, and endowed by Thomas Chamney with £100.