Hutton-In-The-Forest (St. James)
HUTTON-IN-THE-FOREST (St. James), a parish, in the union of Penrith, Leath ward, E. division of Cumberland; containing 264 inhabitants, of whom 165 are in the township, 5 miles (N. W.) from Penrith. The parish comprises 2300a. 12p.; 1880 acres are arable, 320 pasture and meadow, and 100 woodland. The living is a discharged rectory, valued in the king's books at £18. 12. 8½.; net income, £123; patrons, the Dean and Chapter of Carlisle. A school was founded in 1715, by Thomas Fletcher, Esq., and others, and endowed with land producing about £20 per annum.