Hutton, or Priest-Hutton
HUTTON, or Priest-Hutton, a township, in the parish of Warton, union of Lancaster, hundred of Lonsdale south of the Sands, N. division of Lancashire, 2 miles (S. by E.) from Burton-in Kendal, on the road to Lancaster; containing 254 inhabitants. The manor is mentioned in the Domesday survey, and belonged to the Saxon Gilmichel. Adam de Hoton was one of the witnesses to Walter de Lyndesay's charter of liberties to Warton. The property was subsequently possessed by the Standish family, of whom Thomas Strickland Standish, Esq., sold it in 1817 to Lazarus Threlfall, Esq., of Lancaster. The township comprises 1049 acres, of which two-thirds are arable, and the remainder pasture and woodland; the surface is hilly, and the scenery beautiful, embracing views of Morecambe bay and the Lake mountains: freestone is obtained for private uses. The rivulet Whitbeck runs through the township, and is proverbial for its purity and lightness. The ancient mansion of Up Hall has been taken down, and a new erection on another site has received the name: near the old site a moat was visible within memory. Dr. Matthew Hutton, successively bishop of Lichfield and of Durham, and archbishop of York, was born here of humble parents in 1529, and was the founder of Warton grammar school. There is a place of worship for Wesleyans.