Hurstbourn-Tarrant (St. Peter)
HURSTBOURN-TARRANT (St. Peter), a parish, in the union of Andover, hundred of Pastrow, Kingsclere and N. divisions of the county of Southampton, 5½ miles (N. by E.) from Andover; containing, with the tything of Brickleton, 850 inhabitants. The parish comprises 4466 acres; the surface is hilly, the soil on some of the hills clay and chalk, and in the valleys gravelly. A stream called the Swift flows through the lower grounds, for certain portions of the year. The village is pleasantly situated on the road from Newbury to Andover. The living is a vicarage, with that of Vernham-Dean annexed, valued in the king's books at £8. 12. 6.; patron, the Prebendary of Hurstbourn and Burbage in the Cathedral of Salisbury. The great tithes have been commuted for £1340, and the vicarial for £402. 11. 6.; the glebe comprises 50 acres.