HURST, TEMPLE, a township, in the parish of Birkin, union of Selby, Lower division of the wapentake of Barkstone-Ash, W. riding of York, 3½ miles (N. W.) from Snaith; containing 114 inhabitants. This place derived the prefix to its name from a preceptory of the Knights Templars, founded about 1152, in which year the manor was given to them by Henry de Lacy. The township comprises about 700 acres: the village is situated on the river Aire, and the surrounding scenery is of pleasing character. The tithes were commuted for land and money payments in 1789. There are still some remains of the preceptory, with its fish-ponds and moat; and some small remains of a chapel, distant about a mile from the Temple.