HURDSFIELD, a township, in the parish of Prestbury, union and hundred of Macclesfield, N. division of the county of Chester; adjoining the town of Macclesfield on the east, and containing 3551 inhabitants. This township, the lower end of which is in the borough of Macclesfield, comprises about 859 acres, consisting of pasture, with a little arable, and some woodland, and plantations of Scotch larch and firs; the surface is hill and dale, and the soil clay and sand, and stony. Coal and stone are obtained; and there are several silk manufactories and dye-works, employing a vast number of hands: the establishment of Messrs. Brocklehurst and Company is the largest in the township. The Macclesfield and Chapel-en-le-Frith road, and the Macclesfield canal, pass through. A very neat church, dedicated to the Holy Trinity, and in the pointed style, was consecrated in 1837; the cost of its erection was about £3000. The living is a perpetual curacy, with an income derived from pew-rents, and £1000 in the funds; patrons, Hindmarsh's Trustees. There is a place of worship for Wesleyans; and infant and Sunday schools are in connexion with the church.