Hunwick, with Helmington
HUNWICK, with Helmington, a township, in the parish of St. Andrew Auckland, union of Auckland, N. W. division of Darlington ward, S. division of the county of Durham, 3½ miles (N. W. by N.) from BishopAuckland; containing 338 inhabitants. It is situated on the bank of the Wear, and comprises about 1560 acres of land. A district chapel dedicated to St. Paul has been erected; the district consists of this township and part of that of Newton-Cap, and is bounded on the east and south by the river Wear. A fine mineral spring, much resorted to in cases of indigestion, became dry in 1842, owing to the sinking of a coal-pit.