Huntspill (All Saints)
HUNTSPILL (All Saints), a parish, in the union of Bridgwater, partly in the hundred of Bempstone, but chiefly in that of Huntspill and Puriton, W. division of Somerset, 6 miles (N. by E.) from Bridgwater; containing 1643 inhabitants. It borders on the Bristol Channel, and comprises 6615a. 1r. 1p., of which 4939 acres are meadow and pasture, 835 arable, and 170 orchards. The surface is flat, and the soil a deep rich loam; the chief produce is cheese. The river Parret, at the mouth of which the parish is situated, is navigable for vessels of considerable burthen; and the Bristol and Exeter railway, and the Axbridge and Bridgwater road, also afford facilities of conveyance. The living is a rectory, valued in the king's books at £72. 5. 5., and in the gift of Balliol College, Oxford: the tithes have been commuted for £684. 6., and the glebe comprises 49 acres, with a house. The church is a handsome structure in the later English style. A district church, dedicated to All Saints, was built in 1839, containing 230 free sittings, the Incorporated Society having granted £130 in aid of the expense; the funds, with this exception, were supplied by the rector, the parishioners, and the patrons of the parish living. Here is a place of worship for Baptists. Beautiful marine shells, of the Wentletrap and Helix species, abound among the sedge by the sea-side.