Huntley (St. John the Baptist)
HUNTLEY (St. John the Baptist), a parish, in the union of Westbury, duchy of Lancaster, W. division of the county of Gloucester, 7 miles (W. by N.) from Gloucester; containing 511 inhabitants. It is situated on the road between Gloucester and Ross, and comprises by admeasurement 1409 acres, of which 736 are meadow and pasture, 380 arable, 139 wood, and 154 waste: the soil rests chiefly on limestone, intermixed with red and blue clay, gravel, and marl. The scenery is richly wooded, and fine views are obtained from some of the elevations, of the Cotswold, Malvern, and Bredon hills, the mountains of South Wales, the Severn, Bristol Channel, &c. The living is a discharged rectory, valued in the king's books at £7. 5. 10.; patron, R. Capper, Esq.: the tithes have been commuted for £240. 11., and the glebe comprises 48 acres, with a house. The church is in the later English style, and has been enlarged at a cost of £500, defrayed chiefly by the rector; it has 370 sittings.