Hunslet, or Hunfleet
HUNSLET, or Hunfleet, a chapelry, in the parish, and liberty of the borough, of Leeds, and locally in the wapentake of Morley, W. riding of York, 2 miles (S. S. E.) from Leeds; containing 15,852 inhabitants. This place, at the time of the Domesday survey, belonged to the Lacys, from whom the manor passed to various families. The chapelry is bounded on the east by the river Aire, and comprises by computation nearly 1200 acres, forming a level district. From its vicinity to the town of Leeds, of which it is a populous suburb, it has within the last forty years rapidly increased in manufacturing importance; Hunslet Lane, to the east, now forms a continuous range of buildings, and the township contains some pleasant hamlets. A subscription library was established in 1827, which has a collection of nearly 1000 volumes. The inhabitants are chiefly employed in the spinning of flax, for which there are several very large mills; there are also some chemical works, and works for the manufacture of crown and flint glass, with extensive potteries for coarse earthenware, and an establishment for the finer kinds. The substratum of the district abounds with coal of good quality. The Midland railway intersects the township. The chapel, dedicated to St. Mary the Virgin, was erected in 1636, and greatly enlarged in 1774: it is a brick edifice, with a tower, which was added to it by subscription, in 1826; it contains 1150 sittings. The living is a perpetual curacy; net income, £182; patron, the Vicar of Leeds. The great tithes have been commuted for £40. There are places of worship for dissenters.