Hunmanby (All Saints)
HUNMANBY (All Saints), a parish, in the union of Bridlington, wapentake of Dickering, E. riding of York, 8½ miles (N. W. by N.) from Bridlington; containing, with the chapelry of Fordon, 1277 inhabitants, of whom 1214 are in the township of Hunmanby. The parish comprises by computation 6500 acres, whereof about 4300 are arable, 2000 pasture, and 200 woodland. There is a large manufactory of brick and tiles, for which good clay is found. The Scarborough and Bridlington railway passes through the parish. A cattlemarket is held monthly; and fairs take place on the 6th of May and 29th of October. The living is a vicarage, valued in the king's books at £20. 1. 8.; net income, £350; patron and impropriator, Robert Mitford, Esq., R. N. The church, a very ancient structure, contains a splendid monument to the memory of different members of the Osbaldeston family. There are places of worship for Baptists and Wesleyans. A library was founded here by the Associates of Dr. Bray, for the use of the neighbouring clergy, and a parochial library for the poor. Here is a national school; also almshouses for six widows. On an eminence called Castle Hill are vestiges of an ancient fortification.