Hundon (All Saints)
HUNDON (All Saints), a parish, in the union and hundred of Risbridge, W. division of Suffolk, 3½ miles (N. N. W.) from Clare; containing 1095 inhabitants, and comprising by computation 4300 acres. The living is a discharged vicarage, valued in the king's books at £7. 13. 4.; net income, £201; patrons and impropriators, the Master and Fellows of Jesus College, Cambridge. In a building attached to the church is a noble pyramidal monument to the memory of Arethusa, daughter of Lord Clifford, and wife of James Vernon, Esq. A school was built near the church by James Vernon, who also, in 1737, gave a bequest towards its support, of which £10 per annum are a rent-charge on the property of Sir R. Harland, Bart. There is an estate of 113 acres, producing a rental of £120, for repairing the church and relieving the poor. A variety of Saxon coins, of Athelstan, Edred, and Edmund, were found in digging a grave, in 1687.