Humbleton (St. Peter)
HUMBLETON (St. Peter), a parish, in the union of Skirlaugh, Middle division of the wapentake of Holderness, E. riding of York; containing, with the townships of Danthorpe, Fitling, and Flinton, and the chapelry of Elstronwick, 568 inhabitants, of whom 137 are in the township of Humbleton, 5 miles (N. E. by N.) from Hedon. This place, in Domesday book called Humeltone, was given, under the style of Humel's town, by William de Scures to the abbey of Thornton, in Lincolnshire, in the year 1162; at the dissolution of monasteries the manor came to the crown, and it is now held by Lord Hotham. The parish comprises 5920 acres, of which about one-third is pasture land: the surface is in some parts level, in others undulated, and the soil mostly a rich clay; the scenery is generally pleasing and embellished with wood. The village is small, neatly built, and picturesquely seated. The living is a discharged vicarage, valued in the king's books at £10. 1. 0½., and in the patronage of the Crown; net income, £230; impropriator, Lord Hotham. The church is an ancient and handsome structure, in the later English style, with a square embattled tower; the altarpiece has a painting of the Transfiguration, after Raphael, presented by Miss Dixon. There is a chapel of ease at Elstronwick. Francis Heron, in 1718, devised land now producing an income of £70, for the endowment of a school, with a house and garden for the master, who receives £45 per annum; the remaining £25 are appropriated to apprenticing children.