Humberston (St. Peter)
HUMBERSTON (St. Peter), a parish, in the union of Caistor, wapentake of Bradley-Haverstoe, parts of Lindsey, county of Lincoln, 4 miles (S. E.) from Great Grimsby; containing 269 inhabitants. The parish is situated on the banks of the Humber, and comprises by measurement upwards of 3000 acres, about half of which is pasture, and the remainder arable; the surface is flat, and the soil clayey, producing chiefly wheat, beans, and oats. The Louth navigation joins the Humber on the south of the parish. The village, which is distant nearly two miles from the Humber, is neatly built, and finely interspersed with trees. The living is a discharged vicarage, valued in the king's books at £5. 18. 4.; net income, £63; patron, Lord Carrington; appropriator, the Bishop of Lincoln. The church, with the exception of the tower, which is handsome and in the Tudor style, was rebuilt of red brick in the early part of the last century, at an expense of £1000, the bequest of Matthew Humberston, Esq., who died and was interred here in 1709, and to whom there is a splendid monument. For the rebuilding of the church, the parish, by act of parliament, was made tithe free, on payment of about £20 per annum to the rector and vicar. Mr. Humberston also left £1100 to build and endow a school and some almshouses, but the sum remained unappropriated till 1818, when, the funds having accumulated to £24,867, a building was erected, according to a decree of the court of chancery, at a cost of £5000, including the purchase of the site, comprising ten acres of land. The income is £655, of which £100 are paid to the head master, who is vicar of the parish, £80 to an under master, and £30 to the mistress of the girls' school; each of the six inmates of the almshouses has £16 per annum, with coal and other supplies. There is a place of worship for Wesleyans. A Benedictine monastery was founded here in the reign of Henry II., the revenue of which, at the Dissolution, was £42. 11. 3.