HULTON, OVER, a township, in the parish of Deane, union of Bolton, hundred of Salford, S. division of Lancashire, 3¾ miles (S. W.) from Bolton; containing 445 inhabitants. It comprises 1300 acres, chiefly arable land, and entirely the property of William Hulton, Esq., of Hulton Park. The old Hall, the residence of this gentleman's ancestors through many generations, stood upon the site of the present mansion, which is of modern erection; the park is laid out in plantations and pleasure-grounds upon an extensive scale. The ancient chapel attached to the house no longer exists. A handsome school-house was built by Mr. Hulton a few years ago. The substratum of the township is coal.