HULTON, MIDDLE, a township, in the parish of Deane, union of Bolton, hundred of Salford, S. division of Lancashire, 3 miles (S. S. W.) from Bolton; containing 902 inhabitants. This township is situated, like the preceding, on the old mail road from Manchester to Chorley and Preston. It comprises 1280 acres, of which two-thirds are meadow and pasture, and the remainder arable; the surface is level, the soil a stiffish clay, and of moderate quality, and the views from some parts extensive. Excellent coal of the common kind is abundant, as is also cannel coal; and there is a sandstone-quarry. The township is chiefly the property of the Earl of Ellesmere and the Rev. Egerton Bagot, by whom an infant school was built in 1837, in which Church service is occasionally performed.