Hulton, Little, or Peel
HULTON, LITTLE, or Peel, a chapelry, in the parish of Deane, union of Bolton, hundred of Salford, S. division of Lancashire, 4½ miles (S.) from Bolton; containing 3052 inhabitants. This place, though having the diminutive epithet, is among the most interesting and important of the townships in the parish. The Hultons were the early lords; but the late Duke of Bridgewater from the high, and as the result has proved, the just, estimate he formed of the value of the minerals, purchased the manor, which is now vested in his heirs. The township is situated on the old mail road from Manchester to Chorley, and on the Roman road from Manchester, and comprises 1470 acres; it stands elevated, and commands fine views of Cheshire. The soil is of good quality, and mostly in pasture and meadow; excellent coal is obtained, and also stone, of which the church at Tyldesley was built. A cotton-mill is in operation. Old Peel Hall is a fine specimen of Elizabethan architecture, belonging to Lord Kenyon, and another noble mansion called Peel Hall, built in 1846, in the same style, is the seat of Jacob Fletcher Fletcher, Esq. The living is a perpetual curacy, in the patronage of Lord Kenyon; net income, £161, with a house. The chapel, dedicated to St. Paul, was consecrated in 1760, and enlarged in 1818. There are places of worship for Independents, Primitive Methodists, and Wesleyans.