HULTON-ABBEY, a township, in the parish of Burslem, union of Wolstanton and Burslem, N. division of the hundred of Pirehill and of the county of Stafford, 2 miles (E.) from Burslem; containing 548 inhabitants, and comprising about 1400 acres. It is situated near the Caldon canal, which passes on the west. Coal-mines are wrought extensively in the neighbourhood. At Sneyd-Green is a place of worship for Wesleyans. An abbey of Cistercian monks, in honour of the Blessed Virgin Mary, was founded in 1223 by Henry de Audley, the revenue of which, at the Dissolution, was £76. 14. 11.: the remains have been converted into farm buildings.