HUISH, NORTH, a parish, in the union of Totnes, hundred of Stanborough, Stanborough and Coleridge, and S. divisions of Devon, 7 miles (W. S. W.) from Totnes; containing 483 inhabitants. This parish is situated on the river Avon, which separates it from the parish of Diptford, and falls into Bigbury bay; it comprises by measurement 2662 acres. The Avon, though a small stream, is famous for its trout and salmon. There are several quarries of stone, which is raised for building; and a quarry of limestone. The living is a rectory, valued in the king's books at £29. 18. 11½., and in the gift of John Allen, Esq.: the tithes have been commuted for £410, and the glebe comprises 76 acres. The church is a neat plain edifice, in the later English style, with a spire. A house and two plots of land, producing £25 per annum, are appropriated to the poor. An almshouse was endowed in 1517.