Huish-Episcopi (St. Mary)
HUISH-EPISCOPI (St. Mary), a parish, in the union of Langport, E. division of the hundred of Kingsbury, W. division of Somerset, ½ a mile (E.) from Langport; containing, with the hamlets of Coombe, Langport-Westover, Pebsbury, Wearne, and part of Paradise, 713 inhabitants. It is situated on the road from Bristol to the north of Devonshire, and consists principally of pasture land, with portions of arable and orchard ground. The rivers Parret and Yeo or Ivil unite here, and after heavy rains frequently overflow the grounds in the southern part of the parish. The living is a discharged vicarage, with that of Langport united, valued in the king's books at £14. 10. 5.; net income, £210; patron and appropriator, the Archdeacon of Wells, as Prebendary of Huish in the Cathedral of Wells. The tithes were commuted for corn-rents in 1797. The church has a handsome tower, ornamented with battlements and pinnacles.