HUGIL, a chapelry, in the parish, union, and ward of Kendal, county of Westmorland, 6¼ miles (N. W.) from Kendal; containing 382 inhabitants. Bobbinturning and the manufacture of woollen-cloth are carried on. The living is a perpetual curacy; net income, £91; patron, the Vicar of Kendal. The chapel, rebuilt in 1743, by Robert Bateman, in a peculiarly neat style, stands in the village of Ings. The free school was endowed in 1650, by Rowland Wilson, with £12 per annum, which endowment was augmented with £8 per annum (lost through neglect) by Robert Bateman, who also gave £1000 for purchasing an estate and erecting eight almshouses.