Huddleston, with Lumby
HUDDLESTON, with Lumby, a township, in the parish of Sherburn, Upper division of the wapentake of Barkstone-Ash, W. riding of York, 7 miles (N. N. W.) from Ferry-Bridge; containing 247 inhabitants. The township comprises about 1320 acres: at the inclosure in 1794, an allotment was awarded in lieu of tithes. The York and North Midland railway passes through, and a curved branch of a mile and a quarter joins the Leeds and Selby railway. The hamlet of Huddleston lies one mile west, and Lumby two miles south, of the village of Sherburn. Huddleston Hall, the ancient seat of the Huddleston family, is now a farmhouse. Here is a quarry of fine stone which, although soft at first, acquires considerable hardness by exposure to the atmosphere: the chapel of Henry VII., in Westminster Abbey, was partly built of it.