Hoxne (St. Peter And St. Paul)
HOXNE (St. Peter and St. Paul), a parish, and the head of a union, in the hundred of Hoxne, E. division of Suffolk, 3¼ miles (N. E.) from Eye; containing 1333 inhabitants. This place was memorable for the barbarous murder of Edmund, King of the East Angles, who, after an unsuccessful battle with the Danes at Thetford, had taken shelter in a wood in this parish, where he lay for some time concealed, till, being discovered by the glitter of his spurs, he was given up to his pursuers, by whom he was fastened to a tree, and shot to death by archers. A chapel was erected over his remains here, which, on the removal of the remains to the town of Bury St. Edmund's, was converted into a priory for Benedictine monks, and became a cell to the abbey of Norwich; it continued to flourish till the Dissolution, when its revenue was returned at £18. 10., and the site and demesne were afterwards granted to Sir Richard Gresham, Knt. The parish is bounded on the north by the river Waveney, and comprises by measurement 4224 acres; the surface is varied, and the scenery, generally of pleasing character, is in some parts beautifully picturesque. Hoxne Hall, for many generations the residence of the Maynard family, and now the seat of Sir Edward Kerrison, Bart., by whom it has been converted into a splendid mansion, forms, with its tastefully embellished demesne, an interesting feature in the landscape. Petty-sessions for the division are held monthly. The living is a vicarage, with that of Denham annexed, valued in the king's books at £12. 3. 9.; appropriator of Hoxne, the Bishop of Norwich; patron, and impropriator of Denham, Sir E. Kerrison. The tithes of the parish have been commuted for £784. 5. payable to the Bishop, and £400 to the vicar; the glebe consists of 22 acres. The church is a handsome structure in the later English style, with a square embattled tower; the interior is well arranged, and an organ has been erected at the expense of Sir Edward. In the north aisle is a monument, with a group of figures finely sculptured in marble, to the memory of Sir Thomas Maynard, erected in 1742, by Christopher Stanley, Esq. A school, now in union with the National Society, was founded and endowed by Lord Maynard, in 1761; and lands producing £80 per annum have been bequeathed to the poor. The union of Hoxne comprises 24 parishes or places, and contains a population of 15,797.