Howell (St. Oswald)
HOWELL (St. Oswald), a parish, in the union of Sleaford, wapentake of Aswardhurn, parts of Kesteven, county of Lincoln, 5 miles (E. by N.) from Sleaford; containing 72 inhabitants. The parish is situated at the edge of the fenny districts, and comprises by computation 1400 acres, nearly two-fifths of which are fen: there are some remains of an ancient hall, the seat of the Dymoke family. The living is a rectory, valued in the king's books at £13. 10.; net income, £124; patrons, H. Machin, Esq., and others: the glebe comprises 28½ acres. The church has Norman portions, with insertions in the early and decorated English styles: the font is in the later style. A spring here, during the coldest seasons, maintains a constant temperature of 50° Fahrenheit. There are several moats and mounds.