Hoveton (St. John)
HOVETON (St. John), a parish, in the Tunstead and Happing incorporation, hundred of Tunstead, E. division of Norfolk, 8½ miles (N. E.) from Norwich; containing 317 inhabitants. It comprises 1541 acres, whereof 96 are waste or common; 123 acres form a lake, through which runs the river Bure, which bounds the parish on the south. Hoveton House is a handsome brick mansion with Grecian pilasters, situated in a wellwooded park. The living is a perpetual curacy, united to the vicarage of Hoveton St. Peter: the tithes have been commuted for £327. The church is chiefly in the later English style, and contains some neat memorials to the Blofeld family.