Hound (St. Mary)
HOUND (St. Mary), a parish, in the union of South Stoneham, hundred of Mansbridge, Southampton and S. divisions of the county of Southampton, 3 miles (S. E. by E.) from Southampton; containing, with the chapelry of Bursledon, and the tythings of Netley and Sholing, 1008 inhabitants, of whom 127 are in the tything of Hound with Satchell. The parish is situated on the verge of Southampton Water, and comprises by computation 3662a. 2r. 10p. About 485 acres, called Netley-Grange, are tithe-free; of the rest 1440 are arable, 256 meadow and pasture, 335 woodland, and about 1100 acres common, over which all the tenants of the manor of Hound have an unlimited right of pasturage. The living is a discharged vicarage, valued in the king's books at £5. 4. 7.; patrons and impropriators, the Warden and Fellows of Winchester College. The great tithes have been commuted for £345. 6. 8., and the vicarial for £172. 13. 4.; the glebe contains nearly 15 acres. There is a chapel of ease at Bursledon. At a short distance from the bank of the Southampton Water, and surrounded by well-wooded and gentlyrising grounds, are the celebrated ruins of Netley Abbey, founded in 1239, for monks of the Cistercian order, and the revenue of which was valued at the Dissolution at £160. 2. 9. The site and remains were granted to the Marquess of Winchester, and in 1560 Queen Elizabeth was entertained within the walls by the Earl of Hertford, its proprietor at that time. The remains of the chapel, which is cruciform, are particularly beautiful: here is also an ancient crypt, commonly called the Abbot's Kitchen; and the other ruins are, parts of the chapterhouse and refectory, the richly ornamented east window, with a circular compartment, an arch of the west window mantled with ivy, and the south transept. Near the abbey, are the remains of a small fort called Netley Castle, erected by Henry VIII.