Houghton-on-the-Hill (St. Catherine)
HOUGHTON-ON-THE-HILL (St. Catherine), a parish, in the union of Billesdon, hundred of Gartree, S. division of the county of Leicester, 6½ miles (E. by S.) from Leicester; containing 451 inhabitants. This parish, according to the award at the time of the inclosure act, in 1765, comprises 1800 acres, of which the greater portion is pasture, and the remainder good arable land; the soil is a stiff clay, resting in some parts on gravel, and the grounds are watered by numerous small streams. The living is a rectory, valued in the king's books at £16. 1. 0½.; net income, £262; patron, T. Freer, Esq. The tithes were commuted for land in 1765; the glebe altogether comprises 180 acres, with a house. The church is of the Norman style, and contains a piscina, and a font of very large dimensions. There is a place of worship for Baptists.