Houghton, Little (St. Mary)
HOUGHTON, LITTLE (St. Mary), a parish, in the union of Hardingstone, hundred of Wymmersley, S. division of the county of Northampton, 3½ miles (E. by S.) from Northampton; containing 566 inhabitants. This parish consists of 1626 acres, and is situated on the right bank of the navigable river Nene, and intersected by the road from Northampton to Bedford. The Peterborough railway also runs through. The living is a vicarage, with that of Brafield-on-the-Green annexed, valued in the king's books at £6. 9. 2.; net income, £285, derived from land; patron, Samuel Percival, Esq.; impropriator, the Rev. Christopher Smyth, the present vicar. The church is a very ancient edifice in the early English style, with a square tower. The Wesleyans have a place of worship. Robert Ward in 1665 bequeathed £200, the interest to be appropriated to apprenticing children; and William Ward in 1673 assigned a rent-charge of £8, for the endowment of a school. The premises were rebuilt at the expense of the late Christopher Smyth, who added £13 per annum to the endowment, on condition that the master should teach eight boys of Little Houghton, four of Great Houghton, and eight of Brafield.