HOUGHTON-LE-SIDE, a township, in the parish of Gainford, union of Darlington, S. E. division of Darlington ward, S. division of the county of Durham, 6¼ miles (N. W. by N.) from Darlington; containing 130 inhabitants. The vill was a portion of the inheritance of the early lords of Raby, and was granted by Robert Fitz-Mildred to the Springs, of whom Sir John Spring was, in 1312, murdered in his manorhouse here by Robert Lascelles, of Yorkshire. In 1403, the Nevills, of Raby, were still the superior lords; and in 1687 the freeholds were held by the families of Bellingham, Hobson, Denham, and Richmond. The township comprises 1031 acres, exclusively of 29 acres of waste land: the hamlet is situated on a lofty brow of limestone, to the north of Denton, and commands a full view over the vale of the Tees. The impropriate tithes have been commuted for £84, payable to Trinity College, Cambridge, and the vicarial for £51.