HOUGHTON, GREAT, a township, in the parish of Darfield, N. division of the wapentake of Strafforth and Tickhill, W. riding of York, 7½ miles (E. by N.) from Barnsley; containing 348 inhabitants. The township comprises 1617 acres, of which 54 are common or waste. It was for many ages the residence of the Rhodes and Milnes families, and is still to some extent the property of R. P. Milnes, Esq., who is lord of the manor; but the most considerable portion of the land belongs to Earl Fitzwilliam. The ancient Hall is now a farmhouse; the village, which is well built, is situated on a lofty ridge commanding an extensive view. Tithe rent-charges have been awarded amounting to £271, payable in moieties to the rector, and Trinity College, Cambridge. Within the confines of the old Hall is an episcopal chapel, formerly a Presbyterian place of worship, where divine service is regularly performed.