HOUGHTON, a parish, in the hundred of Bury, rape of Arundel, W. division of Sussex, 4 miles (N. N. E.) from the town of Arundel; containing 177 inhabitants. The parish is situated on the road from Chichester to Storrington, and on that from London to Arundel and Bognor; it is bounded on the east by the river Arun, over which is a very ancient bridge, with a causeway adjoining it. The number of acres is computed at 2000; the soil is chalk, alternated with alluvial clay, and the arable and pasture lands are both productive. The living is a vicarage, united in 1700 to that of Amberley: the endowment is £16 per annum, paid by the Duke of Norfolk, who is impropriator. The church is in the early English style. On the downs are some earthworks.