Houghton (All Saints)
HOUGHTON (All Saints), a parish, in the union of Stockbridge, partly in the hundred of King's-Sombourn, but chiefly in that of Buddlesgate, Romsey and S. divisions of the county of Southampton, 1½ mile (S. W. by S.) from Stockbridge; containing, with the tythings of Houghton-Drayton and North Houghton, 458 inhabitants. The parish comprises by admeasurement 2519 acres, of which 190 are common or waste. Here was Stockbridge race-course, considered to be one of the finest in the kingdom, but now broken up and under cultivation, a new course having been formed on the same down at a short distance from it: on the down are extensive training-stables. Courts leet and baron are held annually. The living is a rectory, valued in the king's books at £28. 2. 8½., and in the patronage of the Bishop of Winchester: the tithes have been commuted for £615, and the glebe comprises 52 acres. The church was repaired and repewed in 1834, at the expense of the Rev. J. B. Burnett, the rector; it contains a beautiful font. There is a place of worship for Wesleyans.