HOTHERSALL, a township, in the parish of Ribchester, union of Preston, hundred of Amounderness, N. division of the county of Lancaster, 7 miles (N. E. by E.) from Preston; containing 169 inhabitants. The Hothersalls were for a long period the lords of this place; their successors were the Lettenbys, who were succeeded by the family of Martin. The township lies on the north side of the river Ribble, and west of Ribchester; and comprises 1035a. 9p. The Hall, the seat of the Hothersalls, was in existence in 1618; the present manor-house is more modern. The tithes have been commuted for £70 payable to the Bishop of Chester, and £11 to the vicar of the parish. In the garden wall of the White Lion inn at this place, is a plain stone cross about three feet high.