Horwood, Great (St. James)
HORWOOD, GREAT (St. James), a parish, in the union of Winslow, hundred of Cottesloe, county of Buckingham, 2¼ miles (N.) from Winslow; containing, with the hamlet of Singleborough, 712 inhabitants. The parish comprises 3194a. 38p., of which 805a. 3r. 12p. are in Singleborough; about 1300 acres are arable, upwards of 1584 pasture and meadow, and 308 wood. An inclosure act was passed in 1841. The living is a rectory, valued in the king's books at £14. 4. 2.; net income, £302; patrons, the Warden and Fellows of New College, Oxford. The church has been enlarged. There is a place of worship for Independents.