Horton, Monks (St. Peter)
HORTON, MONKS (St. Peter), a parish, in the union of Elham, hundred of Stouting, lathe of Shepway, E. division of Kent, 5 miles (N. N. W.) from Hythe; containing 171 inhabitants. The parish comprises 1079 acres, of which 90 are in wood: the railroad from London to Dovor passes very near it. The living is a discharged rectory, consolidated with the vicarage of Brabourne, and valued in the king's books at £7. 10. 8.: the tithes have been commuted for £137, and the glebe comprises 16 acres. The church is principally in the early English style, and contains some handsome ancient monuments. Here was a cell of Cluniac monks, founded in the reign of Henry II., subordinate to the priory of Lewes, and dedicated to St. Mary, St. John the Evangelist, and St. Pancras; its revenue at the Dissolution was valued at £111. 16. 11. The remains are in the Norman style, with later insertions, and have been converted into a dwelling-house; contiguous was a large circular arch, a very small portion of which now remains, curiously ornamented, and supposed to have been the entrance into the conventual church.