Horton-in-Ribblesdale (St. Oswald)
HORTON-IN-RIBBLESDALE (St. Oswald), a parish, in the union of Settle, W. division of the wapentake of Staincliffe and Ewcross, W. riding of York, 5½ miles (N.) from Settle; containing 520 inhabitants. This parish is situated on the banks of the river Ribble, and includes the mountain of Pennigant, and several small hamlets and scattered houses, extending to the very source of the river. It comprises 15,269a. 2r. 33p., tithe-free, and chiefly a hilly moorland, affording tolerable pasture for sheep and cattle; the surface is strikingly varied, and the scenery abounds with interesting features. Slate of good quality is quarried to a considerable extent. The village is pleasant, and contains some well-built houses. The living is a perpetual curacy; net income, £108; patron, the Rev. G. Holden. The church is a neat structure, referred to the time of Stephen. A free grammar school was endowed in 1725, by John Armitstead; the income is £160 per annum. A bequest of 11 acres of land, now let for £30 per annum, is appropriated for distribution among the poor.