HORTON, a parochial chapelry, in the union of Tynemouth, E. division of Castle ward, S. division of Northumberland; containing, with the townships of Bebside, Cowpen, and East and West Hartford, 2838 inhabitants, of whom 218 are in the township of Horton, 7¼ miles (S. E.) from Morpeth. Possessions were anciently held here by the knightly family of Horton, and by the family of Charron, of whom was Guischard de Charron, sheriff of Northumberland in the 13th century; among later proprietors occurs Sir Bertram Monboucher, Knt., sheriff of the county, and knight of the shire, in the 14th century. The chapelry is bounded on the north by the Blyth river, and comprises 5217 acres, extending five miles from east to west, and in breadth from one to three miles. Its soil, though various, is generally a strong clay, producing excellent crops of wheat and beans; there is some good turnip-land, and oats thrive well. The surface is for the most part level, but relieved by gentle undulations, whose slopes are richly wooded: the timber consists of oak, ash, beech, elm, black poplar, and some of the larger species of willow; and several small plots of ground are covered with young trees. Lord Hastings is owner of 2313 acres, forming the township of Horton, and abounding in coal and stone. The ancient village is seated on a gradual slope, about three miles west of the sea, and once consisted of several houses, but at present is reduced to one farm and a few cottages, with the chapel. At Low Horton stood the ancient manor-house, or castle, belonging to the Delaval family, which was strongly fortified by licence in 1293, and surrounded by a double moat and rampart of earth; the greater part of the foundation was razed, and the intrenchment levelled, in 1809. The chapelry formed part of Woodhorn parish until 1768, when it was abscinded: the living is a perpetual curacy, in the patronage of the Vicar of Woodhorn, with a net income of £150; impropriators, the Mercers' Company, and the rector of Hampstead, near London. The old chapel was taken down in 1827, and a new structure erected on its site, at an expense of £400, defrayed partly by a rate, and partly by subscription; it stands on the road between Newcastle and Blyth.