Horton (St. Mary)
HORTON (St. Mary), a parish, in the union of Hardingstone, hundred of Wymersley, S. division of the county of Northampton, 6½ miles (S. E.) from Northampton; containing 65 inhabitants. This place has been the residence of several noble and distinguished families, including those of Salisbury, Parr, Halifax, and Hinchinbroke; and is now the property of Sir R. H. Gunning, Bart., whose seat of Horton House, an ancient mansion, has been modernised and greatly improved. The parish is situated on the road between Northampton and Newport-Pagnell, and on the borders of Buckinghamshire; and comprises 1641 acres, mostly pasture. The living is a perpetual curacy, with that of Piddington annexed, valued in the king's books at £7. 17. 1.; patron, Sir R. Gunning; net income, £98. The church is in the later English style, with a tower, and contains a beautiful monument to Lord Parr, uncle of Catherine Parr, Queen of Henry VIII. Charles Montague, first earl of Halifax, was born at Horton House in 1661.