Horsley, East (St. Martin)
HORSLEY, EAST (St. Martin), a parish, in the union of Guildford, Second division of the hundred of Woking, W. division of Surrey, 2½ miles (S. E.) from Ripley; containing 300 inhabitants. It comprises 1795a. 2r. 37p., of which 600 acres are arable, 565 meadow and pasture, and 630 woodland and waste. The surface of the northern part is flat, and the soil clayey, and of the southern part hilly, and the soil chalky; the higher grounds are crowned with beech-trees of stately growth, and the general scenery is pleasingly varied. The road from Leatherhead to Guildford crosses the parish in the centre. The living is a rectory, in the patronage of the Archbishop of Canterbury, valued in the king's books at £12. 16. 5½.; net income, £257. The church consists of a nave and chancel, with a massive embattled tower and neat southern porch, and has portions in the early English style; it contains an altar-tomb to Francis Cornwallis and his lady, and a brass to the memory of Bishop Bowthe, of Exeter, who died at East Horsley in 1478. Several of the bishops of Exeter appear to have resided here, on some property once belonging to the see. The learned Dr. Mant, Bishop of Down and Connor, was rector of the parish, 181820.