Horsham (St. Faith)
HORSHAM (St. Faith), a parish, in the union of St. Faith, hundred of Taverham, E. division of Norfolk, 4 miles (N. by W.) from Norwich; containing, with the hamlet of Newton St. Faith, 1307 inhabitants. A priory of Black monks, dedicated to St. Faith, was founded here in 1105, by Robert Fitzwalter and Sibell de Cayneto his wife, and was at first a cell to the abbey de Cenchis, in Normandy: at the Dissolution its revenue was estimated at £193. 2. 3., and was granted, with the rectory and advowson of Horsham, to Sir Richard Southwell, and Edward Ellington, Esq. Attached to the institution was an hospital, at one time belonging to the Knights of St. John of Jerusalem. The parish comprises by admeasurement 2303 acres, nearly the whole arable: the village is situated on the road from Norwich to Aylsham, above a small rivulet, and is celebrated for its fair for Scotch and other cattle, which commences on the 17th of October, and continues for three weeks. The inhabitants are employed chiefly in weaving for the Norwich manufacturers. The living is a perpetual curacy; net income, £70; patron and impropriator, Admiral Stephens, whose tithes have been commuted for £711. The church was repewed in 1842. There are places of worship for Wesleyans. At the inclosure in 1802, nearly 60 acres of heath were allotted to the poor of Horsham proper. The union workhouse of St. Faith is situated in the parish.