Horsemonden (St. Margaret)
HORSEMONDEN (St. Margaret), a parish, in the union of Tonbridge, hundred of Brenchley and Horsemonden, lathe of Aylesford, W. division of Kent, 2¾ miles (N. E. by N.) from Lamberhurst; containing 1218 inhabitants. It consists of 4517 acres, of which 564 are woodland, and 42 common. A fair for cattle and for toys is held on July 26th. The living is a rectory, valued in the king's books at £26. 3. 9., and in the gift of the Rev. W. M. Smith Marriott: the tithes have been commuted for £971, and the glebe contains 77 acres. The church is situated at the extremity of the parish, upwards of two miles from the village. A school was endowed in 1792, with £1000, by Sir Charles Booth; and an additional benefaction of £200 was made by Dr. Marriott, the late rector.