HORSEHOUSE, a chapelry, in the parish of Coverham, union of Leyburn, wapentake of Hang-West, N. riding of York, 8 miles (S. W.) from Middleham; containing 385 inhabitants. This chapelry derives its name from the place having originally been the site of stabling or sheds for horses used in hunting. It is co-extensive with the district of Carlton-Highdale, and is situated on the river Cover, and upon the road between Middleham and Kettlewell: the hamlet of Horsehouse comprises 425a. 3r. 9p., and forms only a small part of the chapelry. The living is a perpetual curacy, with a net income of £75, in the patronage of the Tomlinson family. The chapel, dedicated to St. Botolph, and bearing the date 1607 over the door, is a plain edifice with a tower, and has undergone considerable repairs within the last half century; when it was erected, is uncertain. The chapelyard was consecrated in 1763. There is a place of worship for Wesleyans.