Hornton (St. John the Baptist)
HORNTON (St. John the Baptist), a parish, in the union of Banbury, hundred of Bloxham, county of Oxford, 6 miles (N. W. by W.) from Banbury; containing 592 inhabitants. It comprises by admeasurement 1400 acres, nearly equally divided between arable and pasture land. The living is a vicarage not in charge, united to that of Horley. The church is principally of the 13th century, but retains extensive remains of a former building of the beginning of the 12th century; there are also some relics of early painting and gilding. A national school is endowed with £14 per annum.