Horningsheath, Great and Little (St. Leonard)
HORNINGSHEATH, GREAT and LITTLE (St. Leonard), ancient parishes, in the union and hundred of Thingoe, W. division of Suffolk, 2 miles (S. W. by W.) from Bury St. Edmund's; containing 597 inhabitants. These parishes were united about the year 1528, and together comprise 2197 acres, principally good arable land; 30 acres are waste or common. Fairs for the sale of lambs are held at Horringer. The living is a rectory, valued jointly in the king's books at £13. 13. 9., and in the gift of the Marquess of Bristol: the tithes have been commuted for £575, and the glebe comprises 15 acres. The church, although much modernised, retains portions in the decorated and later English styles; that of Little Horningsheath has entirely disappeared. A school is supported chiefly by a rent-charge bequeathed by Samuel Battely in 1714. William Bedell, Bishop of Kilmore and Ardagh, in Ireland; and Lawrence Womach, Bishop of St. David's, were rectors of the parish.