Horningsea (St. Peter)
HORNINGSEA (St. Peter), a parish, in the union of Chesterton, hundred of Stow, county of Cambridge, 4¼ miles (N. E.) from Cambridge; containing 298 inhabitants, and comprising about 1600 acres. This place, which is situated on the river Cam, belonged to the see of Ely, and was annexed by the bishop, in 1220, to the hospital of St. John, on the dissolution of which, in the reign of Henry VIII., it was granted to St. John's College, Cambridge. The living is a perpetual curacy, in the patronage of the College. On the inclosure of the parish, in 1802, an allotment of land was given in lieu of tithes. The church contains details of Norman character. There are some slight remains of Biggin Abbey, a considerable house of royal foundation, destroyed by the Danes about 870.